|BOARD OF HEALTH STAFF REPORT (SR 22-102)|
November 8, 2022
|Authorize the Administrative Officer to fully execute an agreement with Patagonia Health for an electronic health record system (SR 22-102; K. Curtis)|
|Prevention Services / Katie Curtis, Director |
|Prior Board Review:|
|Policy Committee, 10/20/22; Administration Committee, 10/26/22; Executive Committee, 10/27/22 |
On March 29, 2022, the Health District issued a request for proposal (RFP) for a new electronic health record system. The RFP was developed in collaboration with the District’s legal counsel to ensure that the process met legal requirements. The Health District received four responses by the due date of May 10, 2022.
Prevention Services Division Director Katie Curtis, Prevention Services Assistant Directors Carrie Parker and Pia Sampaga-Khim, Communicable Disease Supervisor Samantha Matthew, STD Supervisor Lisa Roberts, Lead Public Health Nurse Karen Winchell and Business Analyst Jim Kamp served as the evaluation committee and reviewed and scored the responsive submittals. Patagonia Health had the highest average score of 389.83 out of 400 by the evaluation committee. The second place bid scored 382. Based on those submittals and scores (Exhibit A), staff identified Patagonia Health as the recommended vendor (draft agreement attached as Exhibit B).
The District is currently using a system that was implemented in 2008. The Patagonia Health system is a cloud-based EHR that was designed specifically for public health departments. While utilizing this system, staff will be able to perform telehealth visits and also connect with other EHRs, such as the Department of Health’s Electronic Disease Syndrome Surveillance System, and area hospitals.
The cost for Patagonia Health is:
Initial start-up fee - $124,215, which includes the following items:
- 50 users
- Base System: complete, end to end, patient registration, electronic charting, billing and reporting system. Enter data once and it auto-populates throughout the system.
- Federally certified EHR. Ensures EHR meets all the federal standards including, but not limited to, stringent privacy, security requirements and clinical quality measures. No separate or additional charge for meaningful use certification upgrade.
- Web based (Software as a Service SaaS) EHR eliminates the need for cost and maintenance of servers on customer premises.
- Electronic Prescription (SureScript gold certified), no separate or additional per provider charges
- Connectivity to clearinghouse, no separate or additional clearinghouse EDI charges.
- Upgrade to ICD, CPT and DSM codes, no separate or additional charges for codes or upgrades
- Patient portal (meaningful use compliant), no separate or additional charges for users
- Secure Messaging (staff to staff and agency to patient).
- System Setup and Configuration: Patagonia Health will set up customer complete EHR (including any calendar, sliding fee scale, programs, clinical templates, billing and connectivity to clearinghouse) based on customer need.
- Data migration of information from Insight to Patagonia
- Interface with:
- Washington State Immunization Registry
- LabCorp: Results and Orders
- Washington State Disease Surveillance Reporting system
- Everett Clinic Lab
- Mass vaccination app
- Immunization registry app
- Electronic patient consenting forms
- Electronic fax
- Onsite training
Monthly subscription fee - $5,015
- Per year = $60,180
- This reflects a savings of approximately $25,000 per year from the current health record system.
Funding for the initial start-up fee will be covered by the grant the District received from Congresswoman Suzan DelBene's office. The grant award amount was $250,000.
Monthly subscription fees will be covered by agency funding.
The District's subscription fee for the current vendor is:
- 2022 - $84,675
- 2021 - $82,529
- 2020 - $237,608
- 2019 - $76,234
Consistent with Resolution 19-20 and the revised Division of Responsibilities (10/8/19), the Board of Health retains contract authority for non-legal services greater than $50,000/year or $100,000/total contract.
MOVE TO authorize the Administrative Officer to enter into a contract with Patagonia Health for an electronic health record.